One of the most tragic things to happen is the death of a loved one, but when that death is premature due to negligence or intention of another person or entity, the tragedy is even harder to bear. It’s an emotional time, but it’s important to know your rights under Arizona law. You may be able to recover financial damages in a wrongful death suit.
There are many types of wrongful death cases, including, but not limited to:
- Medical mistakes
- Car accidents
- Airplane accidents
- Criminal attacks
- Work-related incidents
- Construction site accidents
- Accidents due to dangerous premises
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
If another person caused the death of your spouse or child, either intentionally or not, you may have a wrongful death case. It’s important to contact competent and knowledgeable attorneys to help get you financial compensation to at least lessen that worry. There is no set amount of money that is worth a person’s life, but the courts have ways to determine loss of future earnings, spousal emotional support, and in the case of minor children, loss of parental guidance.
In general, the law provides for the following compensation in a wrongful death case:
- Expenses incurred by the death of the victim, including funeral costs, and any medical costs
- Loss of future earnings
- Recovery of lost benefits due to the death of the victim
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish of the survivors
- Resulting loss of companionship, care, or protection due to victim’s death
- General punitive damages
In certain cases of wrongful death brought forth by the surviving spouse, child, or parent, any money that is obtained does not go to any debts the decedent held. There is another type of wrongful death case that can be brought on behalf of the estate of the decedent, and monies recovered from that suit will be subject to repaying certain debts owed.
- The law can be complicated and messy. You don’t know what you don’t know, so you owe it to yourself to get the best lawyer you can get. In cases of personal injury or wrongful death we’re only paid if we win your case, so there’s no charge to get…
- Congratulations on getting your FREE copy of our e-book: "How to Avoid the Top 27 Mistakes Made by Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Victims". Please check your email now for a message from us, and follow the instructions in order to get your FREE book.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalVslWxsqU Transcription: You want to ask that attorney, based on this preliminary information available to you, what's your take on this case? What do you see as the issues? What do you think is the case's potential? So that's one question you might ask; get the attorney talking about your…
- Experience. Look for an attorney who's handled your type of case before. They'll have a better idea of what your case is worth, and the tactics they may encounter from the defense. Bonus tip: There are a lot of really good attorneys in the Valley, but there’s also some bad…